Whether you’re aiming to cut carbs, stay active, find peace of mind or all of the above, achieving your goals can be easy peasy if you follow these tips. We may not be fitness gurus, but we've learned a thing or two over the years. We’ve found that keeping it fun and convenient is how to make your health goals become your lifestyle.
1. Get inspired!
Staying motivated can be challenging at times, but inspiration can help spark action, and there are many ways to remind yourself of your commitments and goals. Here are a few ways to get inspired:
- Make personalized pin boards on Pinterest. Search and save healthy recipe ideas, fitness routines, mindfulness tips, quotes, and more. We love using this app to explore new recipes and plan out our meals for the week! Check out Outer Aisle’s Pinterest page for some easy, low carb recipes ideas.
- Follow fun and informative creators on Instagram. This platform offers more than just funny memes and photos of your friend’s dog -- although we love those, too! It can also provide inspiration and support by connecting you with people who have similar goals. Want some wholesome dad content while learning about the latest natural products and where to find them? Follow Bobby Parrish at flavcity. Want fitness and keto diet tips from a keto coach? Follow Crystal Reneau at ketowithrystal. Love a post? Tap and hold the save icon to add it to your personalized collections!
- Get into the right frame of mind with Motivate: Daily Motivation. This app delivers motivational videos and quotes directly to you. Just select your category: focus, fitness, courage, etc., set the frequency and time of day that you want to receive notifications, and let the app inspire you to be your best self.
2. Create a routine.
Prioritize your health and wellness by making it a part of your daily routine. Consistency is key, that’s why we recommend starting with smaller, realistic goals that you can hit every day! Sometimes it’s easier said than done, so here are some tools to help you develop a routine and keep track of your progress:
- Keep track of daily tasks and automate reminders with Streaks. Stop adding things to your never ending to-do list and start managing your daily tasks with this simple, visual tool that helps build healthy routines. Set reminders to take your vitamins, walk 5,000 steps a day, read for 10 minutes, or meditate each morning. The goal is to maintain a streak by completing a task multiple days in a row. It’s fun, easy and totally works.
- Follow customized HIIT, yoga or meditation routines with Down Dog. Staying consistent with exercise can be challenging, especially if you’re just starting out. Down Dog allows you to create customized routines based on your preferences, save you favorites, and keep track of your activity. The video-based app shows a real person doing the movements with easy to follow narration. You can set your length of time, difficulty level, and type of practice.
- Build better sleep habits, and virtual houses, with SleepTown. Let’s be honest, raise your hand if you’d rather play games on your phone than track your sleep cycle. ✋ That’s why this app is so fun. Set your bedtime and wake up time and stick to them to construct your virtual town while you sleep. Unlock special builds and earn achievements by being consistent each night!
3. Make it convenient.
We’ve all told ourselves, “I don’t have enough time.” Making your health goals convenient and realistic is the secret to staying on track, especially on your busy days. Here are a few time-saving, healthy hacks to set you up for success:
- Plan ahead and meal prep. Making fresh meals can be quick and convenient. Plan to make a few of your favorites like pizza, tacos and sandwiches, then prepare your chopped veggies, beans, and proteins all at once. Save them in separate containers in the fridge, then all you have to do is assemble, heat and eat!
- Get creative with kitchen gadgets. Need a quick meal? Instead of heading for the drive-thru, toast up some Everything Sandwich Rounds and add cream cheese and lox for an open-faced bagel. Or, use an air fryer to make crispy tostadas from our Jalapeño Sandwich Rounds! Top them with sautéed shrimp, pico de gallo and sliced avocado for a flavorful meal. Find more simple recipes on our blog.
- Supplement your grocery shopping with Instacart. Place orders at your favorite stores like Sprouts, Natural Grocers, Wegmans and Albertsons on this neat grocery delivery app. It even saves items you’ve purchased so you can quickly place orders when you’re missing a few ingredients for dinner. Never want to run out of Outer Aisle? We know the feeling! We have a subscribe and save option on our website, too!
4. Find an accountability partner.
We all need a little support now and then! Having an accountability partner or support group can help you stay on track, get you through the tougher moments and make celebrating wins that much more rewarding. Here are a few places you can look:
- Connect with friends and family. Ask a family member, friend or co-worker to be your accountability partner. If they have similar goals, you can work toward them together. Or, they can just be someone to lean on celebrate your wins with! Start a group chat to share fun recipes or exercises and check-in on your progress. Make a commitment to talk about your goals at least once a week.
- Join a Facebook group. Having a community to share your journey with can be both empowering and fun! If reading gives you peace of mind, Book Recommendations is a group where you can share your favorites and discuss what others are reading. There are many groups on Facebook that provide advice and support. Pick one or two that align with your goals and introduce yourself!
- Find a coach. Looking for someone with more experience? A personal trainer or fitness coach can help you develop a plan and give you one-on-one guidance. Look locally or find an online coach that specializes in your interests.
5. Have fun!
This is the most important step. Don’t take yourself too seriously, enjoy the journey! When our founder came up with the crazy idea to turn vegetables into bread, it was inspired by her family’s personal journey to remove sugar and processed carbs from their diet. But what kept them on track, aside from their delicious invention, was the fun they had trying new recipes and eating better together. Now we’re passing the fun on to you. Go crush your goals, but laugh, smile and enjoy the ride along the way! We’re rooting for you.